Tuesday, August 23, 2005

For Mary... she who makes AND ices cakes


Mary Plain has been making lovely cakes.. and icing them - and by sheer coincidence so has the Ultimate Consumer. Now, I know that I have been making poor UC the subject of my posts on rather too many occasions for his liking - but tonight will be the last for a while, and so I will end with a tour de force, a REAL show stopper. An image that Anthony Browne would be proud of...

First, the context:
My Grandmother's 85th birthday is on Thursday and she is partial to a nice piece of fruit cake with marzipan and icing. SO I make the cake and UC gets to use gadgets to ice it.




Now what I want you to notice are:
  1. His rugged good looks
  2. The wording on his Tshirt - any guesses. Clue: evidence of significant running achievement
  3. Half a dishwasher 'tab' on the side - thrifty - but always prepared to invest in gadgetry on any scale
  4. His lovely physiotherapist's hands - strong and sensitive - yougetme?
  5. The fact that he was willing to Ice a cake because I am crap at anything arty at all and would have further trashed our already trashed kitchen.

But even more subtle - have you noticed where the gaze of the lens takes you?

YES, straight to a bottle of Mr Muscle nestled in the background between the bread bin and the knife holder. Now, how's that for subtext?

I am not sure about the empty levitating kitchen roll holder - a mystery for another day perhaps.

3 Comments:

Blogger Joolz said...

Nice piece of semiotic analysis Simply Clare.
My cake is crap compared to that and dare not post photo.

11:00 AM  
Blogger Mary Plain said...

Thanks for this, though it is a scary picture as I am not sure I can live up to these high standards. I think the teeshirt says Marathon and I claim my free turkey baster..

7:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

He sounds like a keeper, to me! Here from Michele's!

11:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home