Tuesday, August 16, 2005

censorship and a resurrected hooby

I have decided to remove the last posting because the more I read of the linked blog, the more offensive I found it! Sorry if you missed it - you will never know what I am talking about.

Instead I will introduce you to a past hooby (GREAT TYPO SO i AM KEEPING IT IN) of mine that I am thinking of resurrecting: Off-road running.

I haven't always been simple Clare you know. In the past I had another alter-ego (or should I say social identity?). I was Clare "Double-ard" Dowdall, queen of distance off-road running events - and to prove it, if you google 'double ard dowdall' - or simply press this link - you will find the evidence!

Anyway shall I/ shan't I begin again? My greatest achievement was the Grizzly, five years running. Even Martin (Double Ard) Dowdall didn't manage this. The Grizzly involved mud, cliffs, shingle beaches, the scabbiest feet you can possibly imagine and a fabulous appetite. Hmmm appealing. But I am getting old and slowing down... really slowing down. I walk more slowly and even turn my head more slowly. What I put this down to is deep breathing exercises and yoga. THIS CAN'T BE GOOD. I don't want to slow down anymore. I like going fast!!! But here is the conundrum: if you go slowly, do you last longer? OR if you go more quickly, do you keep going longer? hmmmmmm.

ANYWAY, what I am trying to decide is whether to attempt this at the end of October - or if this may be too much, what about this at the beginning of October (half not whole).

Yesterday I managed five decent road miles, and I have done a wee bit of moor stomping recently - so shall I do it? I have got a few weeks, a minimal bounce bra, and the inclination... so whadyathink?????? ( a rhetorical question of course)

6 Comments:

Blogger Victoria Carrington said...

Dear Double-ard,
You should DEFINITELY go for it!! Doesn't matter which run you do. It's close to winter and we'll soon be hiding our feet away in (sexy) boots anyway!

12:36 PM  
Blogger Mary Plain said...

Hmm, I don't know. Are your knees still okay? if so then yes! go for it. It is very impressive that you are so fit and it would be a shame to miss out on something you enjoy. But running on all kinds of dodgy surfaces is bad for the joints?
(By the way, I can still see a post that I think might be the one you mean.. the Post Secret one? )

4:08 PM  
Blogger Mary Plain said...

PS And you are absolutely right. Every girl needs a hooby.. not sure about hobbies but hoobies, every time. Well to the jay bad. Or bostin, as we say round here.

4:58 PM  
Blogger Clare said...

Thank you for all your advice. I am planning to go for a run tonight (in the blistering heat!) to see how I feel. Knees seem ok - and boots beckon.

The post secret blog is meant to be there. I posted a link to a blog last night called psychoanalysing pictures- but found it disturbing - so removed it first thing this morning!
Post secret is good!

5:38 PM  
Blogger Mary Plain said...

Am impressed that you can blog and remove entire blog entries at the speed of light, must be all that running!Hope the run went well. We look forward to hearing.

9:45 PM  
Blogger Joolz said...

You need to do this otherwise you will sink in the mire of academia. Hinterlands are v v important.
My dear colleague and friend is off to Switzerland tomorow to do a triathlon on Sunday and is as fit as fiddle. Great way to be.
Do it Simply Clare.
You are well 'ard.

Off the ook.

3:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home