Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Seems like I've got something to say

Actually a couple of things. First... I am so pleased not to have been scrubbed from other people's blog rolls. You are all too kind. It would be quite a harsh thing to do I suppose - and to be honest, I haven't checked everyone's - so if you have scrubbed me, I understand, but would appreciate being reinstated in case I do check as I am very sensitive.

Second... I am still thinking about Victoria's embedded digital technologies and civic participation papers, and was caught by this fact yesterday. Only 14% of people turn off their mobile when they have a bonk. This is truly embedded behaviour.

Third... We have an external examiner who doesn't like it when students list points using 'first... second... third'. I have heard someone else comment that it is grammatically incorrect to use 'firstly... secondly....'. Personally I like listing things in this way. Can anyone explain what is wrong please.

Fourthly... I am going summer skiing to a glacier in Saas-Fee, Switzerland in ten days. Whooohayyyyy.

6 Comments:

Blogger Mary Plain said...

hey, welcome back- good to hear from you. V interested in the 14%factoid.. . Maybe the question is more would you answer it if it rang?
I think my English teachers told me to say firstly then seond, third, etc. (Don't you just hate externals with this kind of obsessive behaviour? )

when do you go skiing?

7:16 PM  
Blogger Guy Merchant said...

First, it's good to have you back in the blogosphere.

Second, wrt to the 14%, what about the %age of people who accidently dial someone else whilst in amorous activity?

Third, I have a lovely external who is the incoming president of UKLA.

Fourth, the very first - I know it's complicated, but stay with it - the first time I published, the editor insisted I used first instead of firstly, so now on principle I use firstly not first (mostly).

Finally (should that not be final?) I hope you have a great break. I'll be in Spain, flaunting my bare toes!

1:23 PM  
Blogger Mary Plain said...

Doh! Have reread your post and it says when you are going. Enjoy.

5:55 PM  
Blogger Clare said...

Thank you Mary, Guy and Mary again. I am so excited. Have just packed the bags and the skis. How cool!!!!! Guy, I am now thinking about your beautiful feet with envy. Mine are looking rather too muscular for my liking!

9:19 PM  
Blogger Joolz said...

We have a lovel ex ex for our MA courses.

I use firstly secondly and thridly. I think an adveb is the right thing. especially as Guy reveals how weird it is to use 'final' instead of 'finally'. HOWEVER I cannot bear that kind of pedantry and detest all those horrible books like @ets shotts and leavesly.'

9:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi you two, had the corgettes in the new Cobb and they were lovvverly.....!!

Mick

6:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home