Wednesday, August 24, 2005

What to wear to work this autumn

Thank heavens for the Japanese environment ministry. They provide workers with useful information: like what they should be wearing to the office this autumn to avoid getting chilly when exposed to the new environmentally friendly 'Cool Biz' initiative.

The environment ministry advises extra thick socks, turtleneck sweaters and waistcoats. "We envision various combinations of dress, but thermal underwear is definitely going to be crucial," a ministry official told Reuters. "There's no doubt that 20C is a bit chilly, so if people don't take care and stay warm, they could become uncomfortable."
This sounds like a good look. I haven't worn a waistcoat since a Chas 'n' Dave party in the 80s... but what goes round comes round as they say. My office often feels about 20C, so I am going to give it a go - even though my office is in Devon and not Japan. It sounds like a good initiative so I am going to support it. Where can I buy a waistcoat?

Post Script - It would appear from their photo gallery that Chas 'n' Dave didn't actually wear waistcoats very much. But hang on - check out the discography section and the cover for 'Musn't Grumble....' there's one!!!

By the way, for the most magnificent thermals (or adventure clothing as I like to think of them), may I recommend the Icebreaker make. Pure Merino Wool from New Zealand. Pricey but simply FABULOUS to wear. Not at all scratchy - and the best wicking action you will find for your money.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

3:30 AM  
Blogger Mary Plain said...

20C sounds pretty warm to us up north.. if my office gets that warm we have a party to celebrate. Helpful to know that such advice is available when needed though.
Not sure I am feeling strong enough for the Chas 'n' Dave photo gallery!

7:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home