Saturday, September 24, 2005

Wonder in Weatherfield

I haven't watched Coronation Street since the days of Derek, Mavis and Pendlebury Paper Products - In fact, I don't watch our homegrown soaps at all, preferring to get my soap fix from the sunnier brand and story lines offered by Ramsay Street. HOWEVER, last night, I have to admit that I was lured back to the ginnels of Weatherfield following an intriguing interview on the radio. It turns out that Status Quo - long time fans of 'the Street' - have secured cameo roles in Corrie for the next six weeks.

Now, so bemused was I by potential for creativity offered by the combination of Betty Turpin and the oldest rockers in town, that I switched on. And boy am I glad that I did.

It was magnificent. Let me conjure my favourite moment:

The scene: Francis Rossi and the one with long blonde hair walk up to Betty at the bar of the Rovers. Francis Rossi is in a neck brace.

Francis: What food have you got love?
Betty Turpin: Hotpot

And that was it! After that it just got better and better. I haven't laughed so much for ages. I can't tell you about any of the other bits because I don't know who the characters were - but I will definitely keep watching. So thank you Granada Television for a simply fabulous start to the weekend.

7 Comments:

Blogger Victoria Carrington said...

oh my god, i saw them on Coro too! I have never watched Coronation Street before (it's charm eludes me) but then as i was channel-surfing (in search of something useful to focus on) i heard some old man in what looked like a traditional english pub say the magic words 'status quo'. This was odd enough to stop me in my tracks, and after a moment of confusion where i vainly attempted to understand what was going on, had to ask my partner if that was really Status Quo sitting (somewhat forlornly, i thought) in the bar of some supposed pub. Do famous people like Status Quo really sit quietly in pub booths? Or, do they only do this in television pub booths?

My uncle used to give me his old records when i was a kid and the Quo were amongst them. Very cool.

5:50 PM  
Blogger The Mistress said...

Here in Canada we're 9 months behind the UK in Corrie episodes. We try to avoid spoilers so most of us don't know about Quo yet. Why not come over and check us out? We're "Corrie Canuck"...
http://corriestreet.blogspot.com

7:58 PM  
Blogger Joolz said...

OMG a blog about Corrie!! Looks marvellous. I think I will have to read that blog, even though I cannot be tempted by Corrie. I will just read for updates here if you don't mind SimplyClare.
It is entirely your fault that I am watching LOST and that's crap too. (But I am addicted of course.)
Thank heaven you are back blogging though SC as your posts really make me laugh.
(iawquirn)

11:13 AM  
Blogger Clare said...

Hello to Canadian Corrie fans. Many apologies for the Quo spoiler - but how did you find my blog? I am intrigued. Anyway, thank you for the invite. Your blog is marvellous. Please come back to mine - as I am going to post a photo of my Dierdre impression for you tomorrow, when I have washed my hair.

Dr Joolz, it is great to hear from you. Lost is on its last chance since the vile and repulsive snog last week. Apologies for causing you to become addicted... and whatever you do, don't get started on the Street too. I can't bear the responsibility.

6:34 PM  
Blogger Clare said...

Victoria - I will discuss Quo, pub booths and the Street in meat space next week

6:35 PM  
Blogger The Mistress said...

Clare: I don't recall how I stumbled onto your blog but I'm glad I found you. And finding you led to finding Joolz. And Clare, I'll take full responsibility if Joolz becomes a Corrie addict. We at Corrie Canuck are her enablers.

I await your Deirdre impression.

5:13 AM  
Blogger Clare said...

MJ - Now that I can post pictures again, I promise that Deirdre (and Gail) will be appearing tomorrow evening for your delight.

9:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home