Friday, August 26, 2005

Simply hair raising

I really like my hairdresser. He lives and works for skiing, and has already booked six holidays for this coming winter and spring. His haircuts are legendary too. Infact, at my inaugral paper-giving session last summer, when I asked the audience of five if anyone had a question, there was only one: "you said that you come from Exeter - where do you get your hair cut?" YES REALLY. I was dead chuffed.
Anyway, I did wonder how he could afford to go skiing six times each year, and so I did a little bit of maths. I called it Clare's personal budget - and here's how it looked:

Clare’s personal budget

Hair
Cut £40 x 9 360
Colour +£60x3 180
Shampoo £10x9 100
Conditioner £10x9 100
Total 720

Face
Moisturiser £40x3 120
Oil £30x4 120
Darphin £50x2 100
Total 340

Eyes
CL £60x4 240
Check up £100x1 100
Total 340

Grand total 1400

CAN YOU BELIEVE THAT!!!! £720 on having my hair cut off and bleached a bit - surely that is ridiculous. Please help me here. I need to know if this is within a reasonable spectrum.
BUT the interesting thing is this, Martin said - "well what are you going to do about it...?" and do you know what I said?
I said "nothing" BECAUSE I am a firm believer (as I told my fine friend Helen who has a BAFTA) that if your hair looks nice and you have a posh handbag, then nothing else matters at all.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"I am a firm believer (as I told my fine friend Helen who has a BAFTA) that if your hair looks nice and you have a posh handbag, then nothing else matters at all."

Haha. Absolutely classic...

And a BAFTA is a British Oscar, right?

10:10 PM  
Blogger Mary Plain said...

The weird thing is how much the price varies regionally- as opposed to by the quality of the hairdresser. A full head of highlights (plus cut and blowdry) used to cost me around £100 in Bromsgrove but here in Lincoln is around £60. And the hairdresser here is nicer and just as good, if not better when it comes to cutting. But absolutely, Simply Clare, this is money well spent. And changing hairdressers is very scary and not to be undertaken lightly. I have had to do this four times in the last five years as I have moved around the country and it is no fun.

7:39 PM  
Blogger Clare said...

Thank you MP. I sympathise with you for having to change hairdressers, Very traumatic. When I first moved to Devon, I travelled for five years 170 miles back to London to get my hair cut and to go to the dentist. Do you think I mayb have a trust issue?

9:40 PM  
Blogger Mary Plain said...

not at all , seems perfectly reasonable to me!

9:40 PM  
Blogger Joolz said...

OMG.
I don't think I am a proper woman.
I pay ten quid to have my hair cut and don't have it coloured. What am I to do?
Does thi smean I am starving the economy?

3:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home