Wednesday, July 20, 2005

Social machines and continuous computing - Thank you Wade Roush

Well today I am going to be a little less frivolous. I spent some high quality time yesterday reading an article from MIT's Technology Review by Wade Roush. It is entitled 'Social Machines' and certainly provides food for thought. Web 2.0 is now firmly embedded in my lexicon (ABC The look of love and gold (lahmay) lame trousers always spring to mind when I hear that word), and 'RSS' is heading that way too!

However, I am most interested in Wade's suggestions that the new computing tools are fundamentally social, and that with them comes a greater desire for recognition and the ability to create more detailed 'true to life' (whatever that means) online identities. Having observed preteens using social network sites, I would have to say that the texts they construct purposefully do contribute to their desired online 'cultural personas' (Holland and Leander I thank you). In addition, the texts can be seen to contribute to their offline identities as well - and this continuity from on to off line (I will coin the phrase 'across the line/ through the line' drawing upon my past history in the heady world of advertising) is what fascinates me the most.

So, thank you Wade. I think you are marvellous, and have added you to my very select list of fellow bloggers.

A simple, but well intentioned act.

2 Comments:

Blogger Joolz said...

Yes Yes. That blurring of the boundaries between online/offline is really an important concept. And I think that this is the area to explore; in my paper about Flickr I talk about the creation of a Third space online, but that the knowledge which comes through that Third Space is uised to reinterpret the world agoian; seeing things through 'Flickr eyes'.
All imoportant stuff!!
Go Clare Go!!

3:42 PM  
Blogger Clare said...

I love your third space through Flickr eyes idea. I haven't 'done' Flickr yet - but am building up to it. I am also really taken by the continuous computing idea - and the idea that we are conducting our relationships through our computers rather than with them. Thank goodness it is July and 'thinking time'!

10:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home