Tuesday, September 27, 2005

An uncanny likeness indeed

I promised... and I will therefore produce the goods - although I am slightly concerned that you may never view me in the same way again. But hey... it's not about you!

So..., I began impersonating Deirdre about the time that Ken left her - for the first time I think (because if my memory serves me correctly, he has married and left Deirdre twice - although perhaps I am mistaken. Candian intelligence is needed here). Anyway, my talent peaked at about the time of 'Samir', Dierdre's ill-fated Turkish husband, who came before Mike Baldwin.

In impersonating Deirdre, I focus on two features in particular: the words spoken; and the quality of tension in the neck area. Please see below and imagine the voice...

"Ken, Ken, don't leave me Ken!"

or

"Samir, Samir, come back Samir!"

I think that you will agree, the likeness is remarkable - and perhaps enhanced by having to say the words yourself.






My success with Deirdre led to a desire to try a new, and perhaps more challenging character altogether. So I chose Gail Tilsley/Platt/etc. for her remarkable ability to puff out her cheeks and disappear her chin.

In this example, you might like to try the lines:

"OOOooh Sarah Lou, you'll be the death of us all"

or

"Mam, I've told you before... just leave it"

I recognise that this impression is not quite perfect yet - but traces of Gail in all her glory definitely shine through.


So dear Canadian fans of The street, I hope that you are not too overwhelmed - or in fact jealous of my impersonating talent. This is indeed a light that has been hidden under my bushel(l?) for many, many years... and just think, it has taken the wonders of the digital age and new social practices around technology to expose this simple talent.

Thank you Tim Berners-Lee for helping to make this all possible.

4 Comments:

Blogger The Mistress said...

Clare, this is brilliant. Brilliant! I'm convinced that you and Deirdre were separated at birth and your Gail is top notch as well. I am soooo impressed by your talent. These photos were worth waiting for.

I've emailed Joolz to ask her to either give me your email address if she has it, or give you my email address. I'd like to correspond more with you but don't want to ramble on and on in your "comments" section.

7:39 PM  
Blogger Mary Plain said...

Simply Clare, I think you could be the entertainment at our next seminar..
What is interesting is that, as someone who hasn't watched Corrie since I was about 18, I still recognise these impressions as very accurate and perceptive. SOmething there for us about the way soaps are a part of our lives whether or not we watch them?

8:12 PM  
Blogger Rob Burton said...

Sorry this is just too scary for this time in the morning, I'm off to watch a soothing slasher DVD....

8:27 AM  
Blogger Joolz said...

You have such empathy Clare. Really this is moving. I could feel Deirdre's pain, I really could.
Acting through the neck area is very skillful indeed and I doubt whether others have thought of it.

Is this digital play btw?

7:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home